February 26, 2009

best book ever: still life with woodpecker

Yes, I love the trite mythos of the outlaw. I love the self-conscious romanticism of the outlaw. I love the black wardrobe of the outlaw. I love the fey smile of the outlaw. I love the tequila of the outlaw & the beans of the outlaw. I love the way respectable men sneer and say ‘outlaw’. I love the way young women palpitate and say ‘outlaw’. The outlaw boat sails against the flow and I love it. Outlaws toilet where badgers toilet, and I love it. All outlaws are photogenic and I love it. ‘When freedom is outlawed, only outlaws will be free:’ that’s a graffito seen in Anacortes, and I love that. There are outlaw maps that lead to outlaw treasure, and I love those maps especially. Unwilling to wait for mankind to improve, the outlaw live as if that day were here, and I love that most of all.

No comments: